How To Claim Compensation As A Victim of Abuse

As a victim of abuse, it can be hard coming to terms with what has happened to you, let alone coming to terms with the idea of claiming compensation for the abuse you have received.
However, if you have fallen victim over long periods of time – or you have fallen victim to assault in a standalone event, you can claim compensation in order to receive money for any damages and loss to your property, to pay for therapy or any other support you need in order to cope with the ordeal you have been put through.

Companies, such as CICA UK, offer some of the best specialist teams in the UK to handle sexual abuse claims. These teams can help to guide you through your claim and offer advice on how to handle the aftermath of your incident.

In order to make a claim of compensation in the UK, you must put in your claim within two years of the incident taking place, or within two years of you reporting the incident. However, there are exceptions to rule, such as being unable to report a crime due to fearing for your life, or if you were too traumatized by your experience to discuss it with anyone in confidence.

Under a scheme that was introduced in 2012, the Criminal Injury Compensation Scheme, a victim can claim compensation against CICA, the Criminal Jury Compensation Authority. This means that you will not be claiming any money from your abuser or attacker, and they will not know that you are claiming compensation from the incident you were involved in.

If you are considering claiming, you must also know what falls under “Sexual Abuse”. The term itself is quite broad, and so a number of things can fall under it. Rape, Incest and sexual exploitation all fall under the term. Exploitation can be used to describe a range of abusive scenarios, such as child sexual abuse or sexual abuse in the workplace from those with a position of power over you. Much like Exploitation, many incidents can fall under the term of Rape, which is another broad term. Rape, by definition, is non consenting intercourse.

If you have said no, and your abuser has forced themselves onto you, this is rape. If you were drunk, asleep, or drugged, and said nothing – this is rape. Even if you consented to sex with a condom, and your abuser has removed the condom mid-coitus, this is rape as you did not consent to sex without a condom.

You can discuss your right to claim with solicitors who can help you further. Companies like CICA UK are experienced in this line of business and can advise you fully on which steps to take. All discussions are confidential, and clients are their primary care when it comes to cases concerning compensation from CICA.

If you are confident in making a claim, you can send an email to [email protected] and someone will be in touch with you.

Guest Post Written by: Gina Kay Daniel 

No comments